Digital Data Acquisition
Course 196 - Three-day Course
Audience: This course is intended for laboratory and field
test technicians and engineers.
Course Description: The objective of the course is to
provide participants with the knowledge required to specify, evaluate
and use a wide variety of digital data acquisition systems in
laboratory and field applications. Basic principles of sampling
and digitizing theory are presented and reinforced with practical
examples from everyday testing operations. Emphasis is placed
on understanding the theoretical concepts through "mechanical
feel" rather than mathematics.
COURSE OUTLINE NO. 196A
- Overview of the Measurement Proces--The System Approach
- The role and function of digital data acquisition.
- Testing and experiment types--what capabilities are required?
- Accuracy, Dynamic Range, Headroom
- Basic Concepts
- Basic calculations
- The Fourier Transform as a "Black Box"
- Data presentation in time and spectral domain
- Sampling and Digitization Theory
- Data acquisition speed and accuracy/resolution considerations
- Noise and other data corruption problems
- Data Acquisition Hardware
- Signal Conditioning
- Common-mode rejection
- ---Transducer wiring practice
- Anti-alias filters
- Estimating aliasing errors for different filter types
- Filter/Sample-rate tradeoffs
- Sample-and-hold amplifiers
- Analog-to-digital converters
- Flash, Successive-approximation
- Multi-pass, Sigma-Delta, Integrating
- The Computer System
- Candidate computer systems--tradeoffs
- Interface concepts--speed, implementation ease and robustness
- Data storage--speed, volume considerations
- Types of Digital Acquisition Systems
- Special considerations,
- Performance and limitations of available system architectures
- Data Analysis
- Engineering-Unit Conversions
- Data Interpolation
- Correction of Anti-Alias filter distortion
- Recognizing, and sometimes correcting, questionable/bad data
- Evaluating Data Acquisition Systems
- Simple tests to evaluate system accuracy/capability
- Specifying a system
- How do you specify a system to get what you want?
- Final Examination
- Award of Certificates for successful completion
Copyright Tustin Technical Institute, Inc.